Six melanoma risk factors identified
1. History of blistering sunburns as a teenager
2. Red or blond hair
3. Marked freckling of the upper back
4. Family history of melanoma
5. History of actinic keratoses
6. Outdoor summer jobs for three or more years as a teenager.
The new information was presented at the annual meeting of the American Academy of Dermatology in March. That same month, a Canadian research team reported that freckles, skin moles, and moles on the iris of the eye are associated with uveal melanoma (cancer of the eye) (Ophthalmology. 2009;116:536-543).