Among the reasons for the limited use of weight-management medications are the withdrawal of fenfluramine in 1997 and sibutramine in 2010 from the U.S. market, as well as the removal of rimonabant from the European market in 2009. In addition, many clinicians and patients perceive weight-management medications as being less effective than their expectations.
Obesity is a disease that poses serious health risks, including progression to cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes. The efficacy of weight-management therapies should not only be measured in terms of pounds lost, but also the beneficial health effects of reducing cardiovascular and metabolic risk.
- Bays HE. Adiposopathy, diabetes mellitus, and primary prevention of atherosclerotic coronary artery disease: treating “sick fat” through improving fat function with antidiabetes therapies. Am J Cardiol. 2012;110 (9 suppl):4B-12B.
- Ryan KK, Woods SC, Seeley RJ. Central nervous system mechanisms linking the consumption of palatable high-fat diets to the defense of greater adiposity. Cell Metab. 2012;15(2):137-149. Available at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3278569
- Witkamp RF. Current and future drug targets in weight management. Pharm Res. 2011;28(8):1792-1818. Available at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3130908
- Knowler WC, Fowler SE, Hamman RF, et al; Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group. 10-year follow-up of diabetes incidence and weight loss in the Diabetes Prevention Program Outcomes Study. Lancet. 2009;374(9702):1677-1686. Available at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3135022
- Moyer VA; U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Screening for and management of obesity in adults: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement. Ann Intern Med. 2012;157(5):373-378. Available at annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=1355696
- Wadden TA, Volger S, Tsai AG, et al. Managing obesity in primary care practice: an overview with perspective from the POWER-UP study. Int J Obesity. 2013;37(Suppl 1):S3-S11. Available at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3786742
- Bray GA. Why do we need drugs to treat the patient with obesity? Obesity. 2013;21(5):893-899. Available at onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/oby.20394/full
- American Society of Bariatric Physicians (ASBP). Obesity Algorithm . 2013-2014. Available at obesityalgorithm.org
- Expert panel report: Guidelines (2013) for the management of overweight and obesity in adults. Obesity. 2014;22(Suppl 2):S41-S410. Available at onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/oby.20660/full
- Garvey WT, Mechanick JI, Einhorn D. 2014 Advanced framework for a new diagnosis of obesity as a chronic disease. The American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists and the American College of Endocrinology. Available at aace.com/article/278
- Yanovski SZ, Yanovski JA. Long-term drug treatment for obesity: a systematic and clinical review. JAMA. 2014;311(1):74-86. Available at jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1774038 –
- Kushner RF. Tackling obesity: is primary care up to the challenge? Arch Intern Med. 2010;170(2):121-123. Available at archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=774125
- Hampp C, Kang EM, Borders-Hemphill V. Use of prescription antiobesity drugs in the United States. Pharmacotherap y. 2013;33(12):1299-1307.
- Padwal R, Kezouh A, Levine M, Etminan M. Long-term persistence with orlistat and sibutramine in a population-based cohort. Int J Obes (London). 2007;31(10):1567-1570. Available at nature.com/ijo/journal/v31/n10/full/0803631a.html
- Bray GA, Ryan DH. Update on obesity pharmacotherapy. Ann NY Acad Sci. 2014;1311:1-13. Available at onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/nyas.12328/full
- Billes SK, Sinnayah P, Cowley MA. Naltrexone/bupropion for obesity: an investigational combination pharmacotherapy for weight loss. Pharma Res. 2014;84:1-11. Available at sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1043661814000449
- Martin CK, Redman LM, Zhang J, et al. Lorcaserin, a 5-HT(2C) receptor agonist, reduces body weight by decreasing energy intake without influencing energy expenditure. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011;9(3):837-845. Available at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3047218
- Qsymia (phentermine and topiramate extended-release) tablets. Prescribing information. Mountain View, Calif.: Vivus, Inc.; 2013.
- Belviq (lorcaserin hydrochloride) tablets. Prescribing information. Woodcliff Lake, N.J.: Eisai Inc.; 2012.
- Allison DB, Gadde KM, Garvey WT, et al. Controlled-release phentermine/topiramate in severely obese adults: a randomized controlled trial (EQUIP). Obesity. 2012;20(2):330-342. Available at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3270297
- Fidler MC, Sanchez M, Raether B, et al. A one-year randomized trial of lorcaserin for weight loss in obese and overweight adults: the BLOSSOM trial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011;96(10):3067-3077. Available at press.endocrine.org/doi/full/10.1210/jc.2011-1256 –
- Smith SR, Weissman NJ, Anderson CM, et al. Multicenter, placebo-controlled trial of lorcaserin for weight management. N Engl J Med. 2010;363(3):245-256. Available at nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa0909809#t=article
- Gadde KM, Allison DB, Ryan DH, et al. Effects of low-dose, controlled-release, phentermine plus topiramate combination on weight and associated comorbidities in overweight and obese adults (CONQUER): a randomised, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial. Lancet. 2011;377(9774): 1341-1352. –
- Garvey WT, Ryan DH, Look M, et al. Two-year sustained weight loss and metabolic benefits with controlled-release phentermine/topiramate in obese and overweight adults (SEQUEL): a randomized, placebo-controlled, phase 3 extension study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2012;95(2):297-308. Available at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3260065
- Hollander P, Gupta AK, Plodkowski R, et al. Effects of naltrexone sustained-release/bupropion sustained-release combination therapy on body weight and glycemic parameters in overweight and obese patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2013;36(12):4022-4029. –
- Apovian CM, Aronne L, Rubino D, et al. A randomized, phase 3 trial of naltrexone SR/bupropion SR on weight and obesity-related risk factors (COR-II). Obesity. 2013;21(5):935-943. Available at onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/oby.20309/full
- Wadden TA, Foreyt JP, Foster GD, et al. Weight loss with naltrexone SR/bupropion SR combination therapy as an adjunct to behavior modification: the COR-BMOD trial. Obesity. 2011;19(1):110-120. –
- Greenway FL, Fujioka K, Plodkowski RA, et al. Effect of naltrexone plus bupropion on weight loss in overweight and obese adults (COR-I): a multicentre, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial. Lancet. 2010;376(9741):595-605.
- Astrup A, Carraro R, Finer N, et al. Safety, tolerability and sustained weight loss over 2 years with the once-daily human GLP-1 analog, liraglutide. Int J Obes. 2012;36(6):843-854. Available at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3374073
- Astrup A, Rossner S, Van Gaal L, et al. Effects of liraglutide in the treatment of obesity: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Lancet. 2009;374(9701):1606-1616.
- Kushner RF. Weight loss strategies for treatment of obesity. Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2014;56(4):465-472. Available at onlinepcd.com/article/S0033-0620(13)00158-8/fulltext
- Roth BL. Drugs and valvular heart disease. N Engl J Med. 2007;356(4):6-9.
- Wellbutrin (bupropion hydrochloride) tablets. Prescribing information. Clifton, N.J.: GlaxoSmithKline; 2013.
- O’Neil PM, Smith SR, Weissman NJ, et al. Randomized placebo- controlled clinical trial of lorcaserin for weight loss in type 2 diabetes mellitus: the BLOOM-DM study. Obesity. 2012;20(7):1426-1436. Available at onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1038/oby.2012.66/full
- Johansson K, Sundstrom J, Neovius K, et al. Long-term changes in blood pressure following orlistat and sibutramine treatment: a meta-analysis. Obes Rev. 2010;11(11):777-791.
- Zhou YH, Ma XQ, Wu C, et al. Effect of anti-obesity drug on cardiovascular risk factors: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. PloS One. 2012;7(6):e39062. Available at plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0039062 –
- Torgerson JS, Hauptman J, Boldrin MN, Sjostrom L. XENical in the prevention of diabetes in obese subjects (XENDOS) study: a randomized study of orlistat as an adjunct to lifestyle changes for the prevention of type 2 diabetes in obese patients. Diabetes Care. 2004;27(1):155-161. Available at care.diabetesjournals.org/content/27/1/155.full
- Bays HE, Gadde KM. Phentermine/topiramate for weight reduction and treatment of adverse metabolic consequences in obesity. Drugs Today. 2011;47(12):903-914.
- Vilsboll T, Zdravkovic M, Le-Thi T, et al. Liraglutide, a long-acting human glucagon-like peptide-1 analog, given as monotherapy significantly improves glycemic control and lowers body weight without risk of hypoglycemia in patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2007;30(6):1608-1610. Available at care.diabetesjournals.org/content/30/6/1608.full
- Fabricatore AN, Wadden TA, Womble LG, et al. The role of patients’ expectations and goals in the behavioral and pharmacological treatment of obesity. Int J Obesity. 2007;31(11):1739-1745.
- Pi-Sunyer X, Blackburn G, Brancati FL, et al; Look AHEAD Research Group. Reduction in weight and cardiovascular disease risk factors in individuals with type 2 diabetes: one-year results of the Look AHEAD trial. Diabetes Care 2007;30(6):1374-1383. Available at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2665929
- Estruch R, Ros E, Salas-Salvado J, et al. Primary prevention of cardiovascular disease with a Mediterranean diet. N Engl J Med. 2013;368(9):1279-1290. Available at nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1200303#t=article
- American Diabetes Association. Standards of medical care in diabetes–2014. Diabetes Care. 2014;37(2 Suppl 1):S14-S80. Available at care.diabetesjournals.org/content/37/Supplement_1/S14.full
- Inzucchi SE, Bergenstal RM, Buse JB, et al. Management of hyperglycemia in type 2 diabetes: a patient-centered approach: position statement of the American Diabetes Association (ADA) and the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD). Diabetes Care. 2012;35(10):1364-1379. Available at care.diabetesjournals.org/content/35/6/1364.full
- Evert AB, Boucher JL, Cypress M, et al. Nutrition therapy recommendations for the management of adults with diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2013;36(4):3821-3842. Available at care.diabetesjournals.org/content/37/Supplement_1/S120.full
- Suprenza (phentermine HCl) tablets. Prescribing information. Cranford, N.J.: Akrimax Pharmaceuticals, LLC; 2011.
- Adipex-P (phentermine HCl) tablets. Prescribing information. North Wales, Pa.: Teva Pharmaceuticals USA; 2012.
- Xenical (orlistat) capsules. Prescribing information. South San Francisco, Calif.: Genentech USA, Inc.; 2013.
All electronic documents accessed on October 1, 2014.