HealthDay News — Of older adults who undergo intubation in the emergency department, 33% die during the index hospitalization, according to a study published recently in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society.

Kei Ouchi, MD, MPH, from Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, and colleagues conducted a retrospective cohort study involving adults aged 65 years and older intubated in the emergency department during 2008 to 2015 at 262 U.S. hospitals. A total of 41,463 emergency department intubation encounters were identified; 35,036 were included in the final analysis.

The researchers found that in-hospital mortality was 33% overall. Twenty-four and 41% of subjects were discharged to home and a location other than home, respectively. Mortality varied with age and was 29, 34, 40, 43, and 50% for those aged 65 to 74, 75 to 79, 80 to 84, 85 to 89, and 90 years and older, respectively.


Continue Reading

Related Articles

“During shared decision-making, individuals aged 65 and older and their surrogates can be informed that, after intubation, the overall chance of survival and discharge to home after the index hospitalization is 24%,” the authors write. “There is a 33% chance of in-hospital death and a 67% chance of survival to hospital discharge.”

Abstract/Full Text (subscription or payment may be required)