HealthDay News — Real-world use shows the Woven EndoBridge (WEB) device is safe and effective for treating brain aneurysms, according to a research letter published online in Stroke.

Adam A. Dmytriw, MD, from Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, and colleagues presented multicenter data to aid decision-making and prognostication when considering the use of a WEB device. The analysis included both ruptured and unruptured aneurysms (683 in 671 patients) in all intracranial locations treated at 22 academic institutions with the WEB device.

The researchers found that at a median 11 months of follow-up, adequate occlusion was seen for 85.7% of aneurysms and complete occlusion occurred in 57.8%. No re-ruptures occurred. Overall, 7.8% of aneurysms required retreatment and 7.5% of procedures had thromboembolic complications, of which 4% were symptomatic and 2% were permanent. Hemorrhagic complications were documented in 3% of procedures. Lower rates of adequate aneurysm occlusion were significantly associated with minor compaction (adjusted odds ratio [aOR], 0.45; 95% confidence interval, 0.24 to 0.86; P = 0.015) or major compaction (aOR, 0.25; 95% confidence interval, 0.11 to 0.57; P = 0.001) vs no compaction. Immediate remnant aneurysm (aOR, 0.45; 95% confidence interval, 0.18 to 1.00; P = 0.065) at the end of procedural digital subtraction angiography was associated with less adequate aneurysm occlusion on last follow-up compared complete occlusion.


Continue Reading

“Patients who are not suitable for open aneurysm surgery or who have recently had a life-threatening rupture and would be at high risk for additional bleeding if treated with conventional endovascular techniques due to the need for blood thinners, now have a viable treatment option,” Dmytriw said in a statement.

Several authors disclosed financial ties to the medical device industry.

Abstract/Full Text (subscription or payment may be required)