CBD demonstrates promise in preclinical research, and numerous pharmaceutical companies are pursuing cannabis-based drug development. Recent regulatory changes have led to the explosion of CBD availability in retail and online markets. The quality and consistency of these CBD products are highly variable, which can lead to efficacy and safety concerns for consumers. In an ideal scenario, CBD products would not be available to consumers until they have been approved by the FDA; however, the genie is out of the bottle and clinicians are seeing an increase in the volume of questions from their patients regarding the use of CBD.
While many issues remain unresolved, CBD appears to be well tolerated and safe. Clinicians must weigh the risks and potential benefits of CBD use in their patients. If clinicians choose to recommend CBD, they should ensure that their patients understand the importance of reputable product sourcing and the possibility of unreported THC content, which can cause positive drug testing among other potential unintended effects.
Cannabis appears to be an exciting new frontier in drug development. The recent shift in public opinion and subsequent legalizations in various states have led to a rapid explosion of use and public adoption, with clinical research lagging behind. The lack of clinical research should not prompt clinicians to be pessimistic but rather cautiously acknowledge that the conclusive evidence is still pending.
Michael Asbach, MPAS, PA-C, Psy-CAQ is a physician assistant at DENT Neurologic Institute in Amherst, New York.
- Franck T. Top cannabis analyst of Wall Street raises sales forecast, names top 2019 picks. CNBC. https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/08/top-weed-analyst-on-wall-street-raises-sales-forecast-names-top-picks.html. Accessed September 7, 2019.
- Governing. State Marijuana Laws in 2019 Map. https://www.governing.com/gov-data/safety-justice/state-marijuana-laws-map-medical-recreational.html. Accessed October 30, 2019,
- Atakan Z. Cannabis, a complex plant: different compounds and different effects on individuals. Ther Adv Psychopharmacol. 2012;2(6):241-254.
- Iffland K, Grotenhermen F. An update of safety and side effects of cannabidiol: a review of clinical data and relevant animal studies. Cannabis Cannabinoid Res. 2017;2(1):139-154.
- Aizpurua-Olaizola O, Soydaner U, Öztürk E, et al. Evolution of the cannabinoid and terrine content during the growth of Cannabis sativa plants from different chemotypes. J Nat Prod. 2016;79(2):324-331.
- Manzanares J, Julian MD, Carrascosa A. Role of the cannabinoid system in pain control and therapeutic implications for the management of acute and chronic pain episodes. Curr Neuropharmacol. 2006;4(3):239-257.
- Mead A. The legal status of cannabis (marijuana) and cannabidiol (CBD) under U.S. law. Epilepsy Behav. 2017;70:288-291.
- Iseger TA, Bossong MG. A systematic review of the antipsychotic properties of cannabidiol in humans. Schizophr Res. 2015;162(1-3):153-161.
- Englund A, Morrison PD, Nottage J, et al. Cannabidiol inhibits THC-elicited paranoid symptoms and hippocampal-dependent memory impairment. J Psychopharmacol. 2013;27(1):19-27.
- US Department of Agriculture. 2018 Farm Bill. Subtitle G—Hemp Production. https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media/2018FarmBill.pdf Accessed October 30, 2019.
- Drug Enforcement Agency. DEA announces steps necessary to improve access to marijuana research. https://www.dea.gov/press-releases/2019/08/26/dea-announces-steps-necessary-improve-access-marijuana-research. Accessed October 30, 2019.
- A Regulation of Cannabis and Cannabis-Derived Products: Questions and Answers. FDA. https://www.fda.gov/news-events/public-health-focus/fda-regulation-cannabis-and-cannabis-derived-products-questions-and-answers#statesallowing. Accessed August 31, 2019.
- Warning letters and test results for cannabidiol-related products. FDA. https://www.fda.gov/news-events/public-health-focus/warning-letters-and-test-results-cannabidiol-related-products. Accessed August 31, 2019.
- De Meijer EPM, Bargatta M, Carboni A, et al. The inheritance of chemical phenotype in Cannabis sativa L. Genetics. 2003;163(1): 335-346.
- Bonn-Miller MO, Loflin MJE, Thomas BF, Marcu JP, Hyke T, Vandrey R. Accuracy of cannabidiol extracts sold online. JAMA. 2017;318(17):1708-1709.
- Food & Drug Administration. FDA approves first drug comprised of an active ingredient derived from marijuana to treat rare, severe forms of epilepsy. 2018. https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm611046.htm Accessed August 31, 2019.
- Food and Drug Administration. Marinol package insert. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2017/018651s029lbl.pdf. Accessed October 31, 2019.
- Food and Drug Administration. Syndros package insert. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2016/205525s000lbl.pdf. Accessed October 31, 2019.
- Food and Drug Administration. Cesamet package insert. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2006/018677s011lbl.pdf. Accessed October 31, 2019.
- Do Val-da Silva RA, Peixoto-Santos JE, Kandratavicius L, et al. Protective effects of cannabidiol against seizures and neuronal death in a rat model of mesial temporal lobe epilepsy. Front Pharmacol. 2017;8:131.
- Khoury JM, Neves MCLD, Roque MAV, et al. Is there a role for cannabidiol in psychiatry? World J Biol Psychiatry. 2019;20(2):101-116.
- Bogdanović V, Mrdjanović J, Borišev I. A review of the therapeutic antitumor potential of cannabinoids. J Altern Complement Med. 2017;23(11):831-836.
- Śledziński P, Zeyland J, Słomski R, Nowak A. The current state and future perspectives of cannabinoids in cancer biology. Cancer Med. 2018;7(3):765-775.
- Prud’homme MR, Cata R, Jutras-Aswad D. Cannabidiol as an intervention for addictive behaviors: a systematic review of the evidence. Subst Abuse. 2015;9:33-38.
- Bergamaschi MM, Queiroz RH, Zuardi AW, Crippa JA. Safety and side effects of cannabidiol, a Cannabis sativa constituent. Curr Drug Saf. 2011;6(4):237-249.
- Gobbi G. A role for cannabidiol in psychiatry? Keep calm and follow the drug development rules. World J Biol Psychiatry. 2019;20(2):98-100.
- Hazekamp A. The trouble with CBD oil. Med Cannabis Cannabinoids. 2018;1;65-72.
- Hawksworth G, McArdle K. Metabolism and pharmacokinetics of cannabinoids. In: Guy GW, Whittle BA, Robson PJ, eds. The Medicinal Uses of Cannabis and Cannabinoids. London; Pharmaceutical Press; 2004:205-228.
- McEvoy GK, ed. AHFS Drug Information Essentials. Bethesda, Maryland: American Society of Health-System Pharmacists; 2018.
- Hebert MR. Impact of pregnancy on maternal pharmacokinetics of medications. In: Mattison DR, ed. Clinical Pharmacology During Pregnancy. Amsterdam; Elsevier B.V.: 2013
- McPartland JM, Duncan M, Di Marzo V, Pertwee RG. Are cannabidiol and Δ9-tetra- hydrocannabivarin negative modulators of the endocannabinoid system? A systematic review. Br J Pharmacol. 2015;172(3):737-753.
- World Health Organization. Cannabidiol (CBD) critical review report. Expert Committee on Drug Dependence; 2018.
- Food and Drug Administration. FDA regulation of cannabis and cannabis-derived products, including cannabidiol (CBD. https://www.fda.gov/news-events/public-health-focus/fda-regulation-cannabis-and-cannabis-derived-products-including-cannabidiol-cbd#whatare. July 23, 2019. Accessed October 30, 2019.
- Echo Pharmaceuticals. Improved uptake of cannabinoid based medicine. http://www.echo-pharma.com/en/about-us/news/improved-uptake-of-cannabinoid-based-medicine. Accessed September 1, 2019.
- Zynerba Pharmaceuticals. Clinical pipeline and expected milestones. https://zynerba.com/in-development/. Accessed September 1, 2019.
- Haney M, Malcolm RJ, Babalonis S, et al. Oral cannabidiol does not alter the subjective, reinforcing or cardiovascular effects of smoked cannabis. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2016;41(8):1974-1982.
- INSYS Pharmaceuticals. Products in development. https://www.insysrx.com/products/in-development. Accessed September 1, 2019.
- GW Pharmaceuticals. Research and Trials: Therapeutic Areas. https://www.gwpharm.com/healthcare-professionals/research/therapeutic-areas. Accessed September 1, 2019.