Image of the Week: Poisonous mushrooms - Clinical Advisor

Image of the Week: Poisonous mushrooms

Slideshow

  • Slide

This patient presented with decreased consciousness, twitching, drooling, and urinary incontinence after ingesting poisonous mushrooms.

The Image of the Week for Jan. 25 is brought to you in partnership with:

Figure 1 logo
The symptoms were consistent with cholinergic poisoning, caused by the ingestion of cholinergic toxins such as muscarine, ibotenic acid, and muscimol, which are present in many mushroom species.Symptoms typically resolve within 12 hours, but anticholinergic medication like atropine can be...

Submit your diagnosis to see full explanation.

The symptoms were consistent with cholinergic poisoning, caused by the ingestion of cholinergic toxins such as muscarine, ibotenic acid, and muscimol, which are present in many mushroom species.

Symptoms typically resolve within 12 hours, but anticholinergic medication like atropine can be used if bronchial secretions are increased.

To see more cases like this, visit Figure 1.

Next hm-slideshow in Clinical Quiz